Educational Resources for Transgender, Intersex & Two-Spirit People (including Gender Non-Conforming Youth & Trans Seniors)
Rupert Raj (66) has been a Eurasian-Canadian, pansexual, trans activist since 1971, founding six support groups/service organizations for transsexuals and crossdressers. As a former psychotherapist/gender consultant from 2000 to 2015, he counselled queer, transgender, genderqueer, intersex and Two-Spirit people.
In 2013, he was inducted into The ArQuives (formerly the Canadian Lesbian & Gay Archives), where “the Rupert Raj Fonds” are housed. His three books include “Trans Activism in Canada: A Reader” (co-edited with Dan Irving, Canadian Scholars’ Press, 2014), “Of Souls & Roles, Of Sex & Gender: A Treasury of Transsexual, Transgenderist & Transvestic Verse from 1967 to 1991” (unpublished, 2017, revised 2018; available online through the Transgender Archives and the Digital Transgender Archive), and “Dancing the Dialectic: True Tales of a Transgender Trailblazer (1st edition) (self-published, 2017). The second of Rupert’s memoir will be released through TransGender Publishing in April 2020.
The following is a collection of educational files compiled or written by Rupert Raj, covering a range of topics such navigating healthcare as a person of trans experience, as well as resources for certain subgroups of the community. This collection was donated by Rupert Raj in 2016, and following his retirement in May 2015, is maintained by the CCGSD.
Click on the resources below to download them:
- Resources for Trans People, Gender Non-Conforming Youth, Their Loved Ones & Helping Professionals
- Rupert Raj & Celia Schwartz: A Collaborative Preparedness and Informed Consent Model: Guidelines to assess trans candidates for rediness for hormone therapy and supportive counselling throughout the gender transitioning process
- Wassersug, Richard, Ross E. Gray, Angela Barbara, Christine Trosztmer, Rupert Raj, Christina Sinding. “Experiences of Transwomen with Hormone Therapy.” Journal of Sexualities. Feb. 1, 2007, 10(1): 101-122.
- Transactivism as Therapy: A Client Self- Empowerment Model Linking Personal and Social Agency
- Transforming Couples and Families: A Trans-Formative Therapeutic Model for Working with the Loved-Ones of Gender-Divergent Youth and Trans-Identified Adults
- Trans Activism in Canada: A Reader
- Towards a Transpositive Therapeutic Model: Developing Clinical Sensitivity and Cultural Competence in the Effective Support of Transsexual and Transgendered Clients
- Of Souls & Roles, Of Sex & Gender: A Treasury of Transsexual, Transgenderist & Transvestic Verse from 1967 to 1991
- Depsychopathologizing Gender Diversity and Improving Trans Healthcare in Canada
- Trans Health Project: A position paper and resolution adopted by the Ontario Public Health Association
- Trans Health Project: Revisions to the position paper
- Dancing The Dialectic: True Tales of a Transgender Trailblazer (2nd ed.)