Gender Markers Guide

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Initiatives
  4.  » 
  5. Resources
  6.  » Gender Markers Guide

A resource guide to help you on Changing Gender Markers On Your Identification Documents

The CCGSD is proud to introduce the following section guides to help folks on changing your gender markers on identification document. The drop down sections below contain links to government websites and forms, as well as some legal and community support from Provincial and national  organizations.

The CCGSD would like to acknowledge the hard work of our volunteers, especially: Nathan Hoo & Pascale Robillard.

Get MORE help from Gowling WLG for FREE

In partnership with the CCGSD, Gowling WLG offices across Canada are providing pro bono services for trans & non-binary

individuals who wish to meet with a legal professional to have their gender designation forms and affidavits commissioned or notarized.

If you are interested in this service, please:

  1. Complete the appropriate designation forms below according to your needs and jurisdiction.
  2. Contact the Gowling WLG gender marker pro bono team at to set up an appointment to have your forms commissioned or notarized.

** NOTE: Gowling WLG will not be providing any comprehensive legal advice or services as part of this initiative. If you require legal advice or services, please contact a human rights lawyer in your jurisdiction.

Resource List


Supporting documents (Government of Ontario)

For an adult

For a child

Nova Scotia

Supporting documents (Government of Nova Scotia)

For more information on how to change gender on driver’s licence or photo ID cards, visit , for birth certificates and health cards 


Supporting documents (Government of Nunavut)

*please note that we are inquiring for further documents regarding specifically the changing of gender/ sex markers.


Skip to content