Statement: U.S. Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade
June 24, 2022
The Canadian Centre for Gender and Sexual Diversity stands in solidarity with our peers in the U.S. who are grappling with the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, stripping the right to abortion access away from millions of people. This ruling has direct impacts on the rights of many marginalized people and genders – including 2SLGBTQ+ people. This repeal on abortion access is also reflective of the growing backlash against human rights we have observed all around the world.
We extend our solidarity to abortion activists in the U.S., especially those fighting to ensure those facing the highest barriers to sexual and reproductive health services are fully supported. To echo our colleagues at Action Canada for Sexual Health and Rights: “The decision to repeal Roe v. Wade is the culmination of decades of attacks on abortion rights, led and funded by allied anti-human rights groups who are concurrently organizing attacks on the rights of women, racialized people, 2SLGBTQIA+ people, sex workers, and other marginalized communities.”
Abortion access is a 2SLGBTQ+ rights issue. It’s a human rights issue. We commit to building solidarity across movements and borders to produce reproductive rights here in Canada and around the world.
Consider directing your support to Canadian organizations leading the work to advance sexual and reproductive health and rights today:
- Action Canada for Sexual Health and Rights (Planned Parenthood Federation of Canada)
- Abortion Rights Coalition of Canada
- Options for Sexual Health
- Centre for Sexuality (formerly Calgary Sexual Health Centre)
- Saskatoon Sexual Health
- Planned Parenthood Ottawa
- Planned Parenthood Toronto
- The Sexual Health Network of Quebec (SHNQ)
- Planned Parenthood Newfoundland & Labrador Sexual Health Centre