A grassroots collective of 7 young individuals founded the CCGSD to make their community a better place.
Almost 14 years later, the Canadian Centre for Gender & Sexual Diversity is still growing, learning and listening. We believe that by listening and following our community’s direction we can continue to make all the necessary improvements.
It is in that spirit that we would like to introduce to you the: CCGSD Feedback Tool: Openness, Transparency & Accountability.
Within six months of each request we receive from the Feedback Tool, the CCGSD will release a document with all of the feedback we have received from the community, as well as our responses and planned actions. We invite you to provide your constructive critique, suggestions or concerns, and we promise to respond to everyone in an open, transparent and accountable manner.
How it works:
- You may reach out to us by emailing our Executive Director (firstname.lastname@example.org) or our Board President (email@example.com) and request a meeting.
- You will be invited to fill our CCGSD Feedback Tool forum.
- We are glad to meet you in-person (if you are in the National Capital Region) or over the phone or Skype. We believe that direct meetings allow for better communication, greater clarity and greater understanding.
- We commit to scheduling meetings within 4 months of a request.
- At meetings, we will take notes about your feedback (critique, suggestion or concern), use the Feedback Tool questions as a draft agenda to cover all critical points, and respond immediately if possible.
- Your feedback will be presented anonymously for discussion at the next possible board meeting and/or with any individuals related to your concern, critique or suggestion (ex: staff, experts, etc.)
- Following the review, notes taken will be used to report your concern publicly in our bi-annual CCGSD Feedback Tool: Openness, Transparency & Accountability Report, as well as the proposed action the CCGSD intends to take or has already taken. This will be shared publicly within six-months of the request being submitted.
- You may 1) fill our CCGSD Feedback Tool- Openness, Transparency and Accountability Form and emailing it to our Executive Director (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Board President (email@example.com), or 2) filling in our anonymous feedback form (this is a google form).
- We will offer you an in-person or skype meeting if you have indicated an interest and provided your contact information.
- If you provide your email, we will reply to your feedback form or your direct feedback with confirmation that we understand the identified concern. Please note we may ask questions to get clarity.
- Your feedback will be presented anonymously for discussion at the next possible board meeting and with any individuals related to your concern, critique or suggestion (ex: staff, experts, etc.).
- Following the review, your concern will be shared publicly (and anonymously) in our bi-annual CCGSD Feedback Tool: Openness, Transparency & Accountability Report, as well as the proposed action the CCGSD intends to take or has already taken.
Note: Your concern may be edited to improve clarity for folks who are not aware of the situation or to protect the anonymity of folks involved.
Some notes about the tool
- Time-frame: Please note that this tool will operate on a six-month cycle. This means that once feedback is received, the CCGSD will attempt to report on the feedback, any actions taken and any solutions found within six months. Please note that this process is led by our board who are volunteers, and as such, we cannot guarantee that a feedback can be resolved in six-months. As such the CCGSD is committed to publicly reporting an update at the six-month mark.
- Confidentiality & Clarity. Please note that all concerns may be made public; however, they may not be published exactly as written to protect the anonymity of the author and in some cases to provide clarity for the reader. Moreover, it should be noted that we cannot publicly respond to matters that are confidential (ex: matters that pertain to concerns with a specific staff or participant). The author of the feedback will be informed if their feedback cannot be included in the Feedback Tool: Openness, Transparency & Accountability Report.Please know that all concerns are taken very seriously and are fully reviewed by the board.If you wish to provide us with feedback that should not be made public, please inform us of this wish. Please note that should similar feedback be received and made public, you will be notified.
- Social media. We understand there is an appetite for responses and dialogue on social media. However because of staff and volunteers’ (the Board of Directors) limited time it is impossible to effectively reply to all comments. Moreover, we do feel that comments in writing miss the intonation and tone in-person communication offers. As such, it has been noted that social media conversations can be misunderstood easily.Furthermore, engagement on social media has the potential to cause harm to those who engage in a discussion that may include negative comments about CCGSD, whether they agree or disagree with those comments. We cannot contribute to discussions in which such harm may be caused.We value your feedback very much, and as such hope you will engage with us in-person, and by using Feedback Tool: Openness, Transparency & Accountability Report.
- Emotional labour. We know that to participate in this process requires emotional labour. We are currently looking at ways in which we may compensate individuals for their emotional labour by providing us with feedback. We hope to have a solution to this in the Spring of 2018.
- New tool: needs ideas. We are unaware of any organizations doing something like the Feedback Tool: Openness, Transparency & Accountability. As such, we hope you will provide feedback on this tool and how it can be improved.Also, if you know of other organizations using this or other similar tools, please consider connecting us so we can improve it. We are also open to suggestions on improving.
- Timeline. We understand that a six-month timeline is a long time to wait for a response. This timeline was determined based on our Board of Directors & staff availability, and our desire to respond properly to all feedback. As the organization grows, we hope to reduce feedback time.