The Canadian Centre for Gender and Sexual Diversity is proud to invite you to be a part of Make it Better- with Sports on October 19th at 5:30pm in the NIKE Loft, 548 Richmond St W, Toronto, ON M5V 1Y4.
We are teaming up with IN Magazine to inspire, unite and celebrate our diversity while developing a healthy routine and lifestyle. Whether you’re a pro or just a beginner, we want you to help fight stigma and promote LGBTQ+ inclusion in sport. Are you a sport fan who loves to be physically active? Are you a high school student who feels that breaking into the athletic world is difficult because of your identity? We want you!
What is Make it Better with Sports?
We’re looking for six high school students to participate in this exciting event. The evening starts with the students meeting some of IN Magazine’s Run Crew members- LGBTQ+ working professionals who are passionate about both the community and fitness. The Run Crew members will tell a little bit about themselves and talk about how physical activity is important for both the body, and the mind. Positive mental health is extremely important, especially for LGBTQ+ youth, and a healthy, athletic lifestyle is one way to achieve a healthy mind. However, participating in sport can sometimes be a challenge in many different ways for the LGBTQ+ community, therefore it is very important to combat transphobia and homophobia in sport and make it inclusive and accessible to everyone. Our Run Crew members are here to show you that no matter how you identify, being active is important and makes you feel great!
Ready for the Challenge?
After speaking with the Run Crew, the youth will choose one of two separate runs that will help challenge you- no matter what your fitness level is. Both runs will be led by the Run Crew, who will take you through stretches and teach you a routine that best suits your fitness level. They, along with Nike’s run pacers, will guide you through the workout from start to finish! Each participant receives free Nike gear for the run- shirt, shoes, and a t-shirt. The two workouts available are;
- Ready-Set-Go: Designed to teach you the ins and outs of running. Great for beginners. (Jogging + Small Workout)
- Regular: Designed to challenge even the experts. (3km+)
How do I Apply?
- We acknowledge this event is being held on the territories of Haudenosaunee (Iroquois), Ojiway-Chippewa, Anishinabek, and Mississaugas of the New Credit.
- As a pilot program we are hoping to learn from this project and invite your feedback through the process.
- Also, while Nike is still looking at developing a gender neutral line of clothing, they currently do not have one. As such we ensured that Nike will give participants the clothing and shoes of their choice.
- This is a free program (with free Nike clothing), however do we do ask that participants cover the cost of their travel to and from the Nike Loft.
Got any questions, ask Brandon: firstname.lastname@example.org