For the International Day of Pink, the Canadian Centre for Gender & Sexual Diversity is proud to present Nance Lomax & Suzanne Poli with the Youth Role Model of the Year award. Nance is a Stonewall Riot Veteran who has been a trans rights activist since going to Stonewall in 1969. Suzanne is a historian and photographer who has documented the Riots since that first night in 1969.
The Canadian Centre for Gender & Sexual Diversity, along with the generous support of the U.S. Embassy, brought Nance and Suzanne up from New York to speak at events during the week leading up to Day of Pink.
List of Nance & Suzanne’s public events:
April 11, 2016
- 9am Bell High School presentations (Bell High School, Ottawa, ON) Nance & Suzanne spoke to several classes of students at Bell High School about their experiences as part of the Stonewall Riots.
- 5pm Dinner Date with Leaders (Delta Hotel, Ottawa, ON) Nance and Suzanne entertained a group of community leaders for dinner, sharing their history and ideas of the LGBTQ movement moving forward.
April 12, 2016
- 10:30am Rogers Daytime (Rogers Office, Ottawa, ON) Nance & Susanne shared their experiences on Rogers Daytime.
- Noon Lunch and Learn (CCGSD office, Ottawa, ON) Nance & Suzanne spoke to organizations about LGBTQ initiatives in the United Stated
- 5pm Labour meet and greet (City Hall, Ottawa, ON) Nance & Suzanne met with leaders from PSAC, PIPSC and CAPE to discuss the intersection of the LGBTQ+ movement and the labour movement
- 7:30pm AIDS Support meeting (AIDS Committee of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON) Nance & Suzanne met with staff and members of the AIDS Committee of Ottawa to discuss the intersection of Stonewall, the LGBTQ+ movement & HIV/AIDS
April 13, 2016
- A Taste for Life Launch (Urban Element, Ottawa, ON) Nance & Suzanne were proud to help Bruce House launch A Taste for Life fundraiser.
- Day of Pink Gala (Horticulture Building, Lansdowne Park, Ottawa, ON) Nance & Suzanne were presented with the Youth Role Model of the Year award at the International Day of Pink Gala.
Disclaimer about the events:
- We believe that these events will be fabulous, but please note that these events (except for the Day of Pink Gala) are run by partner & friend organizations. As we are not the lead organizer for theses events, we are unable to guarantee the nature of theses event and therefore unable to ensure that theses events will follow our organization’s guideline for creating a positive space. The opinions expressed at these events do not necessarily reflect the views of The Canadian Centre for Gender & Sexual Diversity. Remember that we have we have no reason to belief that anyone will feel unsafe or disrespected at theses events. Have a safe Pride!
- Should you have any questions or suggestions about these events or this disclaimer, please reach out to us by:
- While we don’t anticipate that anyone may require support services, should you require any support following the events, or for other reasons, please consider connecting with: