This year Vancouver Pride will be rich with celebration, happiness, and especially history with special guest Martin Boyce. In 1969, Martin was present at the Stonewall Riots in New York and from that night, he decided that he would live his life openly in hopes of inspiring others in his community through academia at Hunter College and the restaurant he opened in The East Village.
The Stonewall Riots were a definitive and important moment that helped jumpstart the contemporary LGBTQ movement and is often considered the first demonstration of Pride. Parades are traditionally held in June and that’s why June is considered Pride Month.
Check out the list of events Martin and The CCGSD will be at this month below!
July 28, 2016
- 2 PM Aging with Pride Presented by 411 Seniors Centre (Coast Plaza Hotel and Suites) Martin shared his story at Stonewall and the importance of struggles his generation went through in the LGBTQ movement, and enjoyed performances by LGBTQ Vancouver seniors.
- 6 PM Welcome to Stonewall: A Night of Storytelling Present by Qmunity (Vancouver Public Library) Martin participated in a discussion about the events of Stonewall and the effects that night had on the LGBTQ community, focusing on people of colour and trans youth.
July 29, 2016
- 12 PM Friends & Company Luncheon (Hawksworth Restaurant) Martin was the guest of honour telling his story of June 28th, 1969 and the climate in New York City of before and after that fateful night.
- 6 PM Unions and the Pride Movement (XY Nightclub) Martin spoke to Vancouver union members about the Stonewall Riots and why they are so important to the LGBTQ movement.
July 30, 2016
- 8 AM Terry Wallace Memorial Breakfast (Jim Deva Plaza in The Davie Village) Martin joined the Vancouver Pride Society and Vancouver citizens at the annual Memorial Breakfast honouring on of the founders of Pride in Vancouver.
- 8 PM Fireworks Viewing Party (TD Tower – 700 W. Georgia Street) Martin joined Friends & Company to enjoy the fireworks show and mingle with their fabulous guests.
July 31, 2016
- 12 PM Marching in Pride with PFLAG Vancouver (West End Vancouver) Martin marched with PFLAG Vancouver in his first Pride march in 25 years!
- 3 PM Sunset Beach Festival (Sunset Beach Park) Martin joined in the festivities at Sunset Beach following the Pride Parade.