Rainbow Write is a free, 12-week drop-in writing program for queer, trans* or questioning youth aged 13 and up. If you’re a bit younger or a bit older and would still like to take part, I’m sure we can make an exception. Just send us a note to fill us in on the details!
Each year, the writing program is broken up into 4 different genres:
- Writing Lyrics
- Spoken Word
- Writing for Stage & Screen
Each week, you’ll be learning new writing skills, doing writing exercises and working with a writing mentor who is a professional in that genre.
There are a limited number of places available in this program, so please register with us as soon as possible. Note that you don’t need to sign up to attend the entire 12-week program – you can attend only those sessions you’re interested in. Even if you have already sent us an email indicating your interest in Rainbow Write, you still need to confirm which of the 12 weekly workshops interest you. You can do that by sending an email to email@example.com and indicating which workshops you plan on attending (see schedule below). You’re of course welcome to attend all of them!
Below is the proposed schedule for the Rainbow Write program, which is running every Tuesday night from 6-9pm starting April 7 and going until June 23.
Rainbow Write Schedule:
- April 7: Fundamentals of Lyrics with Lucas Silveira of The Cliks (Toronto)
- April 14: Writing Folk Lyrics with Amanda Rheaume (Ottawa)
- April 21: Writing Hip Hop with Dee Micho (Ottawa)
- April 28: Fundamentals of Spoken Word with Ade Boluwatife (Ottawa, London)
- May 5: The Body in Performance with Sharrae Lyon (Toronto)
- May 12: Oral Traditions of Storytelling with Gabe Castilloux (Ottawa)
- May 19: Fundamentals of Fiction with Gabriella Golliger (Ottawa)
- May 26: Writing Gay Romance with Pat Brown (London, ON)
- June 2: The Fiction of Memoir: Writing for Survival with Faizal Deen (Ottawa)
Writing for Stage & Screen
- June 9: Fundamentals of Writing for Stage & Screen with Lawrence Aronovitch (Ottawa)
- June 16: Writing for Film with Alec Butler (Toronto)
- June 23: Writing for Theatre with Sarah Waisvisz (Ottawa)
These weekly workshops will be happening at the office of the Canadian Centre for Gender and Sexual Diversity at 440 Albert St, Suite C304 (3rd floor, C wing). This is an accessible venue, and Rainbow Write aims to be an accessible program. We’d be happy to work with you to ensure your accessibility needs are met – large print handouts, etc.
Rainbow Write was founded by Lukayo Estrella and Luna Allison in January 2014. This program is funded by the Ontario Arts Council (www.arts.on.ca) and supported by the Canadian Centre for Gender and Sexual Diversity, our community partner.
TO REGISTER, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know which workshops you’d like to sign up for!
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Luna Allison, Mikki Bradshaw & Tarah Douillon
The Rainbow Write Program