Application Process for Youth Participants is OPEN!
Application Process for Youth Mentors closes December 13th, 2016!
The Canadian Centre for Gender and Sexual Diversity is proud to present our annual national Gender and Sexuality Alliance Forum. The year 2017 marks the fourth year that we are hosting this program, which invites 100 GSM (gender and sexual minorities) and Allied students (ages 14-17) from across the country to participate in a week of leadership education. This training event will take place at Glendon College (2275 Bayview Avenue, Toronto) from May 9th-May 14th, 2017. The students will learn to be leaders in their school and youth communities on topics of GSM identities, diversity, anti-bullying, anti-racism, and mental health. Concurrently, the participants of the event will be trained how to run a successful Gender and Sexuality Alliance club and related activities at their school.
The highlights of this training include:
- Learning effective team management, conflict resolution, and active listening skills;
- Information on 10 specific projects to bring back to schools;
- An understanding of gender diversity, the panoply of GSM art and culture, and the depth of GSM history;
- Awareness of the evolution of GSM rights locally, nationally, and internationally;
- And an exploration of the diversity of the GSM community and the intersections of gender and sexual orientation with youth mental and sexual health.
- Also see our Forum’s Frequently Asked Questions
Our innovative format includes:
- Workshop series and keynotes designed to give the students resources and real-life stories on various topics within the GSM community;
- Arts-based workshops and activities;
- A field trip downtown to trace the steps of queer and trans history in Toronto;
- A community fair to connect participants to key resources;
Participants are required to pay a registration fee of $35.00, unless this is financially impossible for them. This payment can be made through our Canada Helps page or a cheque may be sent. Registration includes all of your accommodation, meals, programming costs, and travel to and from the event!
Due to limited space at the event, we ask that participants apply to attend. As the Forum costs approximately $325 per person (plus travel costs), we are looking for dedicated and passionate students. Ideal applicants will be:
- Non-graduating students who plan to attend the 2017-2018 scholastic year at their current school;
- Students aged 14-17 at the time of the Forum;
- Students who feel that with training they can successfully carry out 3 initiatives in their school;
The deadline for student participant applications is Monday, March 20th, 2017. However, please note that we are accepting application on a rolling first-come first serve basis and there is a limited number of spaces.
Top 5 reasons why YOU should Apply:
- You are someone who wants to make the world a better place.
- You are involved in your GSA, Rainbow Alliance, or Anti-Bullying Club.
- You want to learn how to take what you are doing to the next level.
- You want to meet and share with other students like you.
- You believe school should be a safe place for all GSM students.
How To Apply:
- Download the Blank Application Form at the bottom of this page.
- Complete the Application Form and e-mail it to Program Coordinator, Serena & Stephanie, at email@example.com
- Successful applicants will be contacted within 1 or 2 weeks of their application submission to schedule a quick interview and sent a detailed Registration Package.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Stephanie & Serena at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-400-1875. They are in the office every day on Wednesday from 09:00-17:00.