Application Process for Youth Participants is OPEN!
Application Process for Youth Mentors closes November 30th, 2017!
The Canadian Centre for Gender and Sexual Diversity is proud to present our annual national Gender and Sexuality Alliance Leadership Forum. The year 2017 marks the fifth year that we are hosting this program, which invites 50 GSM (gender and sexual minorities) and Allied students (ages 14-17) from across the country to participate in a week of leadership education. This training event will take place at Glendon College (2275 Bayview Avenue, Toronto) from May 7th-May 11th, 2018. The students will learn to be leaders in their school and youth communities on topics of GSM identities, diversity, anti-bullying, anti-racism, and mental health. Concurrently, the participants of the event will be trained how to run a successful Gender and Sexuality Alliance club and related activities at their school.
The highlights of this training include:
- Learning effective team management, conflict resolution, and active listening skills;
- Information on 10 specific projects to bring back to schools;
- An understanding of gender diversity, the panoply of GSM art and culture, and the depth of GSM history;
- Awareness of the evolution of GSM rights locally, nationally, and internationally;
- And an exploration of the diversity of the GSM community and the intersections of gender and sexual orientation with youth mental and sexual health.
- Also see our Forum’s Frequently Asked Questions
Our innovative format includes:
- Workshop series and keynotes designed to give the students resources and real-life stories on various topics within the GSM community;
- Arts-based workshops and activities;
- A field trip downtown to trace the steps of queer and trans history in Toronto;
- A community fair to connect participants to key resources;
Due to limited space at the event, we ask that participants apply to attend. As the Forum costs approximately $325 per person (plus travel costs), we are looking for dedicated and passionate students. Ideal applicants will be:
- Non-graduating students who plan to attend the 2017-2018 scholastic year at their current school;
- Students aged 14-17 at the time of the Forum;
- Students who feel that with training they can successfully carry out 3 initiatives in their school;
- Please note that we welcome past participants to apply but students who have not participated in the GSA Leadership forum will be given priority to attend. We also encourage past participants to apply to be a Youth Mentor;
The deadline for student participant applications is Monday, March 20th, 2018. However, please note that we are accepting application on a rolling first-come first serve basis and there is a limited number of spaces.
Top 5 reasons why YOU should Apply:
- You are someone who wants to make the world a better place.
- You are involved in your GSA, Rainbow Alliance, or Anti-Bullying Club.
- You want to learn how to take what you are doing to the next level.
- You want to meet and share with other students like you.
- You believe school should be a safe place for all GSM students.
Have you already attended a CCGSD National Forum? If so, consider applying as a Youth Mentor for this years forum. As a Youth Mentor you can be a role model to the forum participants. You will take on a leadership role and certain responsibilities such as leading a house of participants, facilitating house check-ins and debriefs, helping set-up and tear-down. Mentors will arrive a day earlier on Sunday, May 6th for a day of training and set up. This year we have a few different Mentor positions you can apply for:
- Senior Mentors: Have been a mentor before at a CCGSD forum;
- Junior Mentors: Have participated in a CCGSD forum and will be paired up with a Senior Mentor and lead a group of participants;
- Logistics Mentors: Will support staff and fellow Mentors with forum logistics;
- Arts and Recreation Mentor: This is a new role. The person chosen for this role will be responsible for engaging participants during break times, organizing art activities throughout the forum, overseeing a larger art project and managing the talent show;
The deadline for Mentor applications is Thursday, November 30th, 2017.
How To Apply:
- Click the link and fill out the Google Form at the bottom of this page.
- Successful applicants will be contacted within 1 or 2 weeks of their application submission to schedule a quick interview and be sent a detailed Registration Package.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Amanda at email@example.com or 613-400-1875.