Breakwater Books Ltd. is thrilled to announce an exciting new partnership with Egale Canada Human Rights Trust.
We are currently seeking essays on the experience of LGBTTIQQ2SA (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transsexual, Transgendered, Intersexual, Queer, Questioning, 2-Spirited and Allies) on the theme of Pride, Courage, and Social Justice in Canada. Essays will be selected based on the quality of the writing, the perspective from which they are written, and will reflect the diversity of the people of our country. Selected essays will be published together in an anthology set for 2014 release.
Download the application form here.
Eligibility Criteria and Rules
- Submission must be a non-fiction, personal essay that reflects the related challenges and barriers, as well as the pride, courage and social justice, of living as an LGBTTIQQ2SA community member of Canada.
- Writer must be an LGBTTIQQ2SA community member, a friend or family member of an LGBTTIQQ2SA community member, an LGBTTIQQ2SA service provider, or have some other relationship or experience with the LGBTTIQQ2SA community.
- Writer must be a resident of Canada.
- Writer must be 19 years of age or older, or have parental or guardian permission to participate. If under 19, parent or guardian must sign the application form that accompanies the submission.
- Writers must use their real names on the application form as they will be contacted by the publisher for verification purposes.
- Only one submission per person.
Essays must be a minimum of 1500 words to a maximum of 2000 words.
Format and Instructions
Essays must be accompanied by the application form completed in full. Submissions must be typed, single-spaced, in Word format with page numbers and emailed as an attachment. Entries will not be returned. Please save a copy of your work.
Submissions must be received by email no later than November 15th, 2013.
Please email your submissions in Word format with completed application form to:
For more information, please contact:
▪ Douglas Gosse, General Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 1-647-533-9413
▪ Rebecca Rose, Publisher, Breakwater Books at email@example.com or toll free at 1-800-563-3333 extension 227
▪ Helen Kennedy, Executive Director, Egale Canada at firstname.lastname@example.org or toll free at 1-888-204-7777