The Canadian Centre for Gender and Sexual Diversity presents Allyship in Action: 2017. Our goal is to bring together youth to engage them in intersectional and activist workshops, with the end goal of fostering their capacity to practice solidarity with diverse communities.
This year we are proud to host 2 FREE Forums
- Vancouver: Mentors – Aug 6-10, 2017 / Participants – August 7-10, 2017
- Ottawa: Mentors – Aug 14-18, 2017 / Participants – Aug 15-18, 2017
We understand that the word ally is not a noun but instead a verb. To ally yourself with someone is to be listening and learning how to care for and support different people. Participants will learn all about the diverse history of different kinds of Canadians and how to stand up not just for them, but with them.
Because of interest, we are proud to host two forums on either side of our nation. The Vancouver one will be hosted at Simon Fraser University (8888 University Dr, Burnaby, BC) and in Ottawa, Ontario at The Terry Fox Centre (1805 De Gaspé Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario).
To apply – email our forum coordinator Amanda at email@example.com or fill out the application below.
- The Forums are COMPLETELY FREE. We cover Forum costs, accommodations for the week, food and program related expenses.
- Please note, we are also able to over travel grants of $150.
- Note: While there is no deadline for application, spots will fill fast, so apply today
The highlights of this training include:
- An Opportunity to learn about Canada’s rich history and diversity
- National community building
- Learn how to become an engaged and active citizen
- An opportunity to learn about the indigenous peoples of Canada and pre-colonial history
- Preparing to celebrate Canada’s 2017
Our innovative format includes:
- Workshop series and keynotes designed to give the students resources and real-life stories on various topics focusing on becoming an ally;
- Arts-based workshops and activities;
- A field trip and tour of Parliament Hill and The National Gallery of Canada;
- Training on how to organize activities on allyship to continue Allyship in Action! within your own communities.
Due to limited space at the event, we ask that participants apply to attend. Applicants will be accepted on a first come first serve basis so we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Ideal applicants will be:
- Youth in between the ages of 15-25, with some exceptions
- Youth who feel that with training they can successfully carry out 3 initiatives in their communities;
- Youth who are enthusiastic about Canadian identity and building better communities
Applications are open NOW! Please note that we are accepting application on a rolling first-come first serve basis and there is a limited number of spaces.
Top 5 reasons why YOU should Apply:
- You are someone who wants to make Canada a better place.
- You are involved in community building and diversity initiatives
- You want to learn how to take what you are doing to the next level.
- You want to meet and share with other students who are passionate about Canada
- You want to learn what it means to be an ally
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Amanda at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-400-1875.
- Participant 2017 Allyship Registration Package Final
- note: the same form is used for both Ottawa & Vancouver. Mentor forms & Participant forms are the same.
We acknowledge the financial support of the Government of Canada for this program from its inception until present (2015 and 2016).